At some time in your life, you may need a family member or other person to talk to VRS about your benefits or to act on your behalf.

To Give Authorization to Someone Else

The Authorization to Discuss VRS Account Information (VRS-900) gives VRS permission to discuss your retirement benefits and account information with the person you’ve named. This person is authorized to have access to information, not to act on your behalf. VRS representatives must speak with you before providing bank account and bank routing numbers, medical records, beneficiary information and Approved Domestic Relations Orders.

To name a person, complete and sign the VRS-900, have it notarized and send it to VRS. This authorization is valid for two years from the date of the notary’s signature.

To Designate Someone to Act on Your Behalf

If you need a person to act on your behalf, complete and have notarized the VRS Durable Power of Attorney (VRS-901) . This form gives the person you name permission to:

  • Designate or change a beneficiary for you.
  • Change an address.
  • Set up direct deposit.

A power of attorney provided through your personal attorney also is acceptable.

The VRS durable power of attorney remains in effect unless you revoke or change it.

Both the Authorization to Discuss VRS Account Information (VRS-900) and the VRS Durable Power of Attorney (VRS-901) relate only to VRS information.

 Alert: In-person counseling appointments are temporarily suspended. Please call 888-827-3847 for a phone or virtual counseling appointment.

Member Counseling

Meet with a counselor about:
Retirement options
Applying for retirement
Retiree benefits

Call VRS toll-free at 1-888-827-3847 for information.

Key Topics