Employees may elect the Basic Benefit or Survivor Option , and if they meet eligibility requirements, the Partial Lump-Sum Option Payment (PLOP) or the Advance Pension Option . The benefit payout option is irrevocable, which means the employee cannot change it, except for the Survivor Option under some conditions. Read more about benefit payout options.

Complete and submit the required service retirement forms, including the Application for Service Retirement (VRS-5), to your employer. Your employer will certify the application and complete the Employer Certification of Involuntary Separation Under the Transitional Benefits Program (VRS-11B).

Be sure to submit the application to your employer, not to VRS. VRS requires employer certification of the application and the enhanced retirement credit calculation to process the application.

The effective date of retirement is the first of the month following the month you are laid off.