This website is best viewed with Javascript. Learn more about enabling Javascript.

VRS Logo Monday, October 19, 2020

Counseling Center
1111 East Main Street
Richmond, VA 23219
8:30 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
Map & Directions
graphic: contact us Contact Us

Administrative Offices
1200 East Main Street
Richmond, VA 23219

Connect with VRS
facebook icon linked-in icon

 > Members
 > Your Benefits and Programs
 > Purchase of Prior Service
 > Applying to Purchase Prior Service

Applying to Purchase Prior Service

Hybrid members: See related Hybrid Retirement Plan resources.

Register for or log into your myVRS account to review prior service in your record that is eligible for purchase. Your employer's human resource office also can offer assistance. Using myVRS, you can:

Your online myVRS account includes counseling tips to guide you through each step of the purchase process. Once you commit to the purchase online, you may make a lump-sum payment directly to VRS. Or, you can set up a purchase payment agreement by printing your cost estimate page and working with your employer. VRS must receive your lump-sum payment or employer-approved agreement within 90 days of your confirmation, or you must reapply. Please note that, generally, the cost to purchase service increases over time.

Eligibility for Service From Non-VRS-Participating Employers

In the following cases, the previous employer with which you earned the service will need to certify your prior service before you can complete the purchase:

Eligibility for Service From VRS-Participating Employers

In the following cases, the previous VRS employer with which you earned the service will need to certify and enter your prior service eligibility in the VRS system before you can complete the purchase.

Changing Jobs While Purchasing Service?

If you have a purchase agreement in place and move from one state employer to another without a break in service, VRS will continue the agreement automatically. Purchase agreements will end if you move among other employer types or have a break in service.

Should You Move Out of State

If in the future, you leave VRS-covered service and move to another state and need certification of your prior service with VRS, call 1-888-827-3847 or email for assistance.

Back to top
View VRS Expenses Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0
Translate (Disclaimer)