After you retire, you can work for any employer that does not participate in the Virginia Retirement System, such as a non-profit organization or private company, and continue to receive your retirement benefits. If you return to a VRS position, your options include:
- Returning to non-covered employment . Under some circumstances, you can continue to receive your retirement benefits while working in a non-covered position with a VRS-participating employer.
- Returning to covered employment , your retirement benefits will stop and you will become an active member .
- Returning in a critical shortage position. Positions are full-time and temporary. You will continue to receive your retirement benefit but you will not earn additional service credit .
- Returning as a retiree school security officer. Open only to retired sworn law-enforcement officers. Positions are full-time. You will continue to receive your retirement benefit, but you will not earn additional service credit.
Watch the presentation below and refer to the key topics on this page for more information about the various options.
Considerations Before You Return to Work:
Understand how your benefits may be impacted if you return to work.
Retired on Disability?
- If you are retired on disability and accept a position with any non-VRS or VRS-participating employer that requires the same or similar duties as those you performed in your previous position, your disability retirement benefits will end.
- If you return to covered employment with a VRS-participating employer, your disability benefits will stop and you will become an active member, regardless of your new duties. When you retire again, you will retire under service retirement. The period of time you were retired on disability will be included in the calculation of your service retirement benefit. If you wish to retire on disability again, you must reapply by submitting all required disability retirement forms and documents. Your application will be evaluated under the medical review process based on the duties of your new position.
Before Returning to Work
If you want to work after you retire, call VRS toll-free at 1-888-827-3847 to determine the effect of accepting covered or non-covered employment on your current and future retirement benefits. Also contact the Social Security Administration for information on how earnings during retirement affect your eligibility for Social Security Benefits. Call toll-free 1-800-772-1213 or visit the Social Security Administration website.